Read Now Colorado Workshops: Our team has developed some brief webinars to help you learn more about how to support your reader at home.
- Helping Students Learn to Read so they can Read to Learn: In this webinar you will learn why reading is so important and how your child learns to read. You will also learn about the building blocks of reading or five essential domains of literacy.
- Reading at Home: In this webinar, you’ll learn about why reading 20 minutes a day is important. We also give you some tips on how to read with your child at home.
- Partnering with your Child’s Teacher: Partnering with your child’s teacher is an important way to ensure your child is on track to become a strong reader. In this webinar we share tips on how to effectively collaborate with your child’s teacher.
- Combating Summer Slide: In this webinar, you’ll learn about the summer slide, which is also called summer learning loss. Parents can play an important role in ensuring that their children don’t fall behind and forget the important knowledge they learned during the school year. We will cover some ways you can help your child throughout the summer so that they don’t fall behind by the start of the next school year.
- Reading in Colorado: This video provides information about early literacy policy in Colorado and how parents can support their child in learning to read.
- Learn about The READ Act: This short video provides an overview of Colorado’s early literacy policy, the Reading to Ensure Academic Development (READ) Act.
- Tips for Supporting your Child’s Reading: This brief video provides tips for parents to support their child in becoming a strong reader.
When it comes to encouraging young readers there are a number of organizations with resources to help parents support their children at home. We have identified some of our favorites below.
- PBS Parent has developed reading activities and games that can make everyday chores more fun for everyone and support your child’s language and literacy skills and build the foundation for reading and writing.
- Reading Rockets offers information and resources on how young kids learn to read, why so many struggle, and how caring adults can help. Resources for families of English Learners.
- Get Ready to Read! is designed to support educators, parents, and young children in the development of early literacy skills in the years before kindergarten. Intended for use with all children, the resources and information provided on this site promote skill-building, communication between adults, and ways to address concerns.
- Reading is Fundamental has everything you need to make reading fun and engaging including, apps, calendars, booklists, and STEAM enrichment activities to foster learning in school and at home.